Observations


Starting with iNaturalist
Starting with the app was as easy as downloading and exploring the app itself. When you open the app it immediately opens "My Observations" from there you can navigate between other pages. From "Explore" which zooms you into a satellite imagery map showing you your location and observations people have made around you. Then is the "Activity"tab where you can see IDs that people have suggested for your observations. Then of course there is the "Observe: tab where it opens your phones camera and you can take pictures or pull pictures from you camera roll to add to your observations. Learning and navigating the app is all the training you really receive unless you explore the web version where there is a bit more information about observations and research grade information.

Time to Observe!
There is PLENTY of biota out in the field to observe. When you make an observation it also makes a suggestion based on your geolocation and what has been observed nearby. These suggestions make it much easier for me to choose a possible ID for my observation. I am working on learning more plant and tree identification so I began focusing on those. One of the sites I work on several times a week has extensive wetlands and upland forests that are both naturally occurring and have been planted. Grasses are extremely hard to identify just based on a picture so I began taking several pictures of different parts of the grasses and posting them for others to assist me with identification. On many of the pictures I have added as unidentified observations, all of them have been identified by others who use the app. Many of the users reached consensus on the identifications. When several people agree on an identification it then becomes research grade data. I found the more pictures with varying angles and perspectives leads to better more effective identification. Identification during the summer is unique because a lot of vegetation is flowering which helps a LOT. Many of the plants I was observing had brilliant flowers that I was able to add to my observations which made identification much easier and faster.  I also found several insect species which I have very little experience identifying. The hardest part was catching them to photograph! I was honestly most surprised how quickly others were able to verify my identification or suggest a different ID. It seems like there are a lot of experienced people who comb through this data and double check what people are observing. This is really fantastic since the goal of iNaturalist is not only to provide accurate identification but also provide research grade data. 

Over the last few weeks I have participated and made 38 observations. I have made observations on work 
sites, weekend hikes and even around my neighborhood. The following dates I logged observations often logging several in a day:

Bindweeds
European Bramble

Mountain Laurel
Unidentified

                                           
Eastern Kingsnake
                                  

Quince Rust


Moving Forward
I plan on continuing to use the iNaturalist app to make observations and help with my identification skills. I really enjoy exploring nature and discovering new and familiar species that I just didn't know the name of. After seeing me walk around many of my work sites and taking pictures on hikes many of my friends, family and coworkers have decided to download the app for their personal use as well. It's really exciting to be able to share something with them that encourages people to not just enjoy nature around them but learn more about it. 

Comments